(Sober me would like to apologise about drunk me. Not about the content and the subject matter, just about the bad formatting and grammar until sober me came along and mostly fixed it.)
This is a running commentary of what thoughts went through my head after a night out drinking wine. It is about being a woman out in the world and the things we do to keep ourselves and our friends safe. It isn’t a perfect article but I’m leaving it up because even after quite a lot of wine, the thoughts I was having were so important to me I wanted to blog about it, because we shouldn’t have to be so concerned about our safety.
- let’s put it this way, at this very point in time I am wearing a dress that goes to my knee and very thick tights and I am as drunk as I will ever be mid-week and I still promised my female best friend that I will text them to let them know I am home safe, despite me and my aforementioned friend talking to my male other half in to last half hour, to reassure him that I will soon be home safe.
- This is why we need to still need to talk about sexism, because even after more than a bottle of wine each we need to know the other is safe. And trust me have depended on autocorrect and some sober thought to post this; this is why sexism is still an issue.
- Some men are leaving the Train I am on; they don’t seem to be re assuring anyone of where they are .
- Yep, home safe. First thing I do; text female friends I was out with about safe journey home.
- And only then I set alarm to get me to work early in the morning.
- Female priorities straight from the drunk horse’s mouth.
This commentary from the heart is why we still need to discuss sexism, because I doubt many men I my situation have just have to reassure thief friends they are safe.